Tales of Avolon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Adept Apprentice Mage: Nyven Freyla

Go down

The Adept Apprentice Mage: Nyven Freyla Empty The Adept Apprentice Mage: Nyven Freyla

Post  Airra Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:43 pm

Name: Nyven Freyla

Race: Human

Appearance: She has a slender frame and stands at roughly 4'11". She has lightly tanned colored skin and dark blue eyes. Her black hair is cut to a medium short length, covering the top half of her ears with a few strands reaching down to her shoulder, and is tied in the back with her bangs cut to be halfway between her eyes and the hairline. She has a solid blue marking on her left cheek and directly under her eye in the shape of a downward-pointed dagger.

She wears a light violet mantle that reaches just past her shoulders over her similarly colored short-sleeved tunic. Under her tunic, she wears a long, earth-toned brown undershirt, the sleeves becoming hidden from view when meeting with her cotton elbow-length, fingerless long gloves which are the same shade of violet as her tunic. Her legs are covered with very dark brown leggings, almost black, which reaches down to her ankles. She wears light, dark leather shoes and keeps the laces neatly tide.

She carries a 5'6" solid wood quarterstaff with iron, spherical weights attached to the ends.

Personal Traits: Nyven is usually rather cheerful and very caring for her companions. She is very protective of Tiri, her pet wyvern. She has a light voice and talks in an almost childlike tone, but speaks clearly and sincerely. She is rather fond of reading fictional story books and often imagines herself in the same situations as the protagonists, hoping one day to write a book of her own.

She often gets bored when little is happening around her and begins gating points in her fingertips to create lingering trails of light in the air.

Skills and Abilities: Nyven is an adept apprentice mage. Her best field of magic is manipulating the physical world to simulate elemental control, with Wind and Ice being the most powerful and well controlled. She doesn't really need a staff or wand to perform her magics, rather, it just helps her keep focus on a point where she would want a spell to focus at, such as with her control of wind. However, she lacks much firsthand combat experience.

Nyven's method of magic requires one to "gate" various points around the body, most often the hands. This method allows her to pull (currently limited) power from the layer of reality in which the physical and spiritual worlds are much more alligned, allowing her to the power of her spirit to manipulate the physical world around her.

Background: Nyven grew up as the adoptive daughter of a wise mage in a village of giants in a cold, mountainous region.

==========

Name: Tiri

Race: Wyvern

Appearance: Tiri is an unusually small wyvern, only being about 1'4" from his head to the tip of his tail and with a wingspan of about three feet. The light gray of his scales is comparable to that of the cloudy sky after snowfall. His tiny yellow eyes are full of curiosity and dart about as he takes in the wondrous surroundings as he rides on Nyven's shoulder.

Personal Traits: Tiri is very playful and full of curiosity. He often flies about to play with Nyven when they're not busy as sits on her shoulder when resting. He is also very fond of fish and will sometimes dive into a lake to drag one out for a quick meal.

Skills and abilities: Flying about and being overly adorable.

Background: Tiri was among the smallest of the newborn wyverns and was often looked down upon by the rest of the nest for being unable to gather food. Eventually, he was left alone after a dragon tore through the cave in which the wyverns had made their nest, forcing him to flee and eventually get lost. After some time, Tiri wandered into a clearing where he found the child Nyven practicing her father's lessons alone. At the time, being unnoticed, he began digging through Nyven's bag, looking through it after smelling food, hungry from having not eaten since the dragon attacked.

After a few more minutes of practice, and after accidentally knocking down a tree in a blast of fire, Nyven grabbed her bag up and rushed home. Having gotten back to her room, she tossed the bag to her bed where it landed with a slightly more weighted thud and a light shriek. Cautiously approaching the bag that had suddenly begun shifting about, Nyven held her breath a bit as she opened it to find a small, lizard-like face with a piece of bread in it's mouth.

Last edited by Airra on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Airra
Airra
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Adept Apprentice Mage: Nyven Freyla Empty Re: The Adept Apprentice Mage: Nyven Freyla

Post  Airra Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:19 pm

First Journal Entry

Papa has sent me down south to learn healing magic from a relative. I was rather excited about it, seeing as injuries around here have been becoming more frequent lately, so I gathered a few things in my travel bag and headed off, bringing Tiri right behind me.

After a few days of travel, Tiri and I had reached Ladaris and headed straight to the Inn. It was rather dark by the time we got there, and I was rather tired, so we didn't have much time to actually see anything of the town. The morning after, there was a tremor that had shook me awake. The innkeeper rushed up to knock at the door to see if I was alright. Luckily only a lamp had fallen to the floor, but nothing broke.

Seeing that I was alright, he invited me outside for breakfast with his wife, Bess. The innkeeper seemed rather polite, but Bess seemed to have some kind of issue with me and Tiri, getting caught off guard and almost attacking him. An argument between the couple escalated afterwards, making me a bit uncomfortable, but before I could really think whether to leave and let them sort it out, another tremor had hit the town, knocking everything about.

All the townspeople nearby started acting strange, and Bess seemed to be getting increasingly violent, so I rushed back to my room to gather my stuff so I could escape. I had no idea what was going on, but I felt it best that I didn't be there.

When I tried to get away, the ground next to be seemed to burst open and this monster, which looked like it was made of fire at first, forced itself out of the ground and tried to attack me. It was really frightening, and even more so when, suddenly, I couldn't move anymore.

It was a nightmare. I was left hopeless on the ground as the monster stood over me. But, then a child appeared and seemed to make this odd feeling that the creature was giving off vanish, allowing me to move again. At the same time, an overwhelmingly powerful woman started fighting with the monster. I started panicking and ran away to the nearest "safe" distance, unsure of what to do.

The child started trying to calm me down, telling me to try to help them somehow. It seemed odd at first, asking a bystander to try and help fight off a monster like that... But it soon took to trying to attack the townspeople. At that moment, one of Papa's lectures ran through my head...

We mages learn our skill to help people when needed. So I can't just sit by while someone is being attacked the way it was, so I had to try to do something.

After a moment of thinking, I figured that, since it was fire based, if I could get the monster frozen, or even just really cold, it'd slow it down enough so that the woman would be able to finish it off. Unsure about just how I would freeze it, though, I tried to see if there was a nearby source of water. Luckily, the hole it dug up started bursting out a geyser. I left Tiri with the child so that he wouldn't get hurt and rushed over to start the process.

I used my magic to fling much of the water over the monster and reduce the intensity of the flames, as well as making a good medium for freezing around it since the inside would have been too hot to get most of the cold to. I rushed to it and removed one of the metal ends of my staff so I could channel most of the heat energy coming off of the creature into it while, at the same time, I was using my other hand to start freezing it. My memory seems to have faded around this point as it struck me using it's own frozen leg after breaking it off...

When things started clearing up, I seemed to have just recovered from a state of shock. The woman and the child were right next to me, apparently trying to make sure I was okay, and the monster was nowhere to be seen. Someone had treated me while I wasn't exactly conscious, apparently, though I have a bad burn on my hand now from that metal ball. It ruined my gloves too... Luckily I was able to walk, and Tiri was completely unharmed, so I was very relieved.

The innkeeper couple invited us back in to rest and recover. Bess had a much warmer and considerate disposition this time around though. Apparently the monster had caused her to start acting odd.

The woman and child introduced themselves as Xangela and Deanthie after giving a rushed explaination of what had happened. I decided to leave it alone though, as I was tired and having not really eaten much the entire day left me rather hungry. Bess had given us a nice meal which was quite enjoyable, and offered to let us stay the night.

I hope something like this doesn't happen again... I should sleep now, though. I need to go back to traveling soon.
Airra
Airra
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum